fbpx

Murray withdraws from Australian Open

Andy Murray withdrew from the Australian Open on Thursday due to the lingering hip injury that has sidelined him since last year’s Wimbledon.

“Sadly I won’t be playing in Melbourne this year, as I am not yet ready to compete,” Murray wrote in a tweet on the Australian Open Twitter feed Thursday. “I’ll be flying home shortly to assess all the options.”

Murray, 30, also withdrew from this week’s Brisbane International, but said he would take a few days to see if the hip improved before making an official decision on the Australian Open.

A five-time Australian Open finalist, Murray has yet to win the event. However, he indicated in an Instagram post earlier this week that surgery may an option he has to consider.

“I’ve obviously been going through a really difficult period with my hip for a long time and have sought council from a number of hip specialists,” he wrote Tuesday. “Having been recommended to treat my hip conservatively since the US Open I have done everything asked of me from a rehab perspective and worked extremely hard to try get back on the court competing.

“Obviously continuing rehab is one option, giving my hip more time to recover,” he said. “Surgery is also an option but the chances of a successful outcome are not as high as I would like, which has made this my secondary option and my hope has been to avoid that. However this is something I may have to consider but let’s hope not.”

–Field Level Media

Leave a Reply