Beckham tells reporters he’ll be at Giants’ camp

Wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. on Saturday told reporters he’ll be in attendance when the New York Giants open training camp on July 25.

“Yes sir. Yes you will,” Beckham told reporters who asked if they’ll see him at the Giants camp as he left a camp he’s hosting for some 550 first- through eighth-graders in Metuchen, N.J., on Saturday.

He also said “No holdout,” when asked if he’s planning such a move as he seeks a new contract.

Beckham looked pretty well recovered at camp, showing off his trademark one-handed catches.

Seeking a contract extension as he enters the fifth-year option of his rookie deal, Beckham showed for the start of organized team activities — which are voluntary — in May but had been absent for two weeks before showing up for mandatory minicamp last week.

The 25-year-old’s appearance for the start of OTAs was seen as a show of good faith with the organization, after his name was a popular one in trade rumors as a new coaching staff and general manager (Dave Gettleman) took over this offseason. Owner John Mara told reporters in May that there isn’t a “sense of urgency” to extend Beckham, adding, “The contract will get done when it’s supposed to get done.”

Beckham is set to make close to $8.5 million in 2018 and has made no secret of his desire for a new deal, suggesting last year he wanted to become the league’s highest-paid player.

While that won’t happen, Beckham is likely angling to top the wideout market, which is led by Antonio Brown at $17 million per season. Three of Beckham’s classmates from the 2014 draft, Mike Evans ($16.5 million annually), Sammy Watkins ($16 million) and Jarvis Landry ($15.1 million), received lucrative contracts this offseason to move them into the top five among receivers.

Though he played in just four games last season due to injury, Beckham has averaged 107 catches, 1,506 yards and 13 touchdowns per 16 games in his four-year career.

–Field Level Media

Leave a Reply