Danica Patrick said she is “politely pushing” but has yet to secure rides for this year’s Daytona 500 and Indianapolis 500.
Patrick announced her retirement following the 2017 NASCAR season after being replaced by the Stewart-Haas Racing team. However, Patrick said she would ideally walk away from competitive racing after competing in this year’s marquee NASCAR and Indy events.
Patrick raced in IndyCar from 2005-11 and spent the past eight years in the NASCAR Series.
“It’s taking longer than I’d like it to take, I’ll be really honest with you,” Patrick said on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio on Thursday, per USA Today. “I thought it was going to be a quicker process, but you know, you can’t rush things. I’m a big believer – more and more all the time – of letting things flow and just letting things take shape in the way that they would, and that’s kind of why I ended where I ended with finishing up (my) full-time career last year and doing the Daytona 500 and Indy 500 for this year. I was just like, I didn’t push anything, and I just let things flow, and it turned out to be just perfect. Honestly, I’m excited and just so grateful. …
“So similarly with the teams I’m going to race for – or the team – in NASCAR and in IndyCar, I’m pushing politely, but you can’t make things happen before they’re ready to happen. So I kind of thought it would get more simple. There’s less people involved, less sponsors, less things. Well, it’s still complicated. It’s still complicated. So it’s just taking a little bit of time, but we’ll hopefully have something to announce soon enough.”
The Daytona 500 is in February and the Indy 500 in May.
.@DanicaPatrick joined @TheMikeBagley & @PPistone on #TMDNASCAR and said it’s taking longer than expected to announce her #Daytona500 and #Indy500 plans for 2018 #NASCAR @DISupdates @IMS pic.twitter.com/7yDs11cfPs
— SiriusXM NASCAR Radio (Ch. 90) (@SiriusXMNASCAR) January 4, 2018
–Field Level Media