Giants end Rodgers-Cromartie’s suspension

The New York Giants ended cornerback Antonio Rodgers-Cromartie’s “indefinite” suspension after just one game on Tuesday.

Rodgers-Cromartie was reinstated to the active roster following a morning meeting with coach Ben McAdoo, and the team waived/injured cornerback Michael Hunter to clear a roster spot. Hunter injured his hamstring in Sunday night’s victory over the Denver Broncos.

The Giants were also awarded linebacker Nigel Harris off waivers from the Los Angeles Chargers and placed second-year defensive end Romeo Okwara on injured reserve with a sprained knee.

Rodgers-Cromartie was suspended after walking out of the team’s facility last Wednesday, but he is expected to report to work exactly a week later as the Giants begin their preparations for this Sunday’s game against the Seattle Seahawks.

He reportedly left a recovery session on Oct. 6, then threw his helmet in frustration after being pulled late in the Giants’ Week 5 loss to the Chargers. Rodgers-Cromartie was seen hobbling around the field, and then left the bench to head to the locker room – a violation of team rules – before returning to the field.

He started the game at outside cornerback with Eli Apple benched for the first three defensive series, but moved into his usual inside spot once Apple entered the game. Rodgers-Cromartie was stepped on later in the game, and left after one more play with an apparent Achilles issue. He finished the game playing 40 of the 78 defensive snaps.

Rodgers-Cromartie met with McAdoo last week to discuss his recent actions, and was told at the time that he would be made inactive for last Sunday night’s game at the Denver Broncos. He showed up for a morning meeting the following day, then left the building.

That’s when McAdoo decided the benching would turn into a suspension.

Rodgers-Cromartie stands to lose $410,588 for the game he was suspended, and has one more season left on the five-year, $35 million deal he signed in 2014.

Leave a Reply