fbpx

Nishikori withdraws from Australian Open

Kei Nishikori will miss this month’s Australian Open because his injured right wrist hasn’t fully healed, his agent told USA Today on Wednesday.

Nishikori has been sidelined since August due to a torn tendon in the wrist.

Agent Olivier van Lindok announced Nishikori’s withdrawal in an email to USA Today.

“The Aussie Open is my favorite Slam,” Nishikori said through his agent. “My rehab is going well but I am just not ready 100 percent to come back yet in best of 5 set matches.”

It will be the second consecutive major the 28-year-old from Japan has missed. Nishikori also missed last summer’s U.S. Open.

Nishikori is currently ranked 22nd in the ATP rankings. He was No. 9 when last year’s wrist injury ended his season.

Nishikori isn’t the only top-flight player who could miss the Australian Open, which begins Jan. 15.

Novak Djokvic (elbow) said earlier Wednesday that he is uncertain whether he can play, while Andy Murray is considering whether or not to undergo hip surgery after pulling out of the Brisbane International on Tuesday.

–Field Level Media

Leave a Reply