fbpx

Notebook: Rockies re-sign OF Gonzalez to 1-year deal

–The Colorado Rockies and three-time All-Star Carlos Gonzalez finalized a one-year, $5 million contract on Monday.

The agreement calls for up to another $3 million in bonuses based on days on the active roster.

The three-time Gold Glove outfielder earned $20 million with Colorado last season in the final year of a seven-year, $80 million contract.

Gonzalez, 32, is a career .288 hitter with 215 homers and 711 RBIs. He struggled for much of the 2017 season while dealing with insomnia before consulting with a sleep specialist. He hit .377 in September with six home runs to finish the season with a .262 average, 14 homers and 57 RBIs in 136 games.

–The New York Yankees are adding a flexible, veteran presence to the lineup, agreeing to terms with free-agent second baseman Neil Walker, according to Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports.

The deal, which the Associated Press reports is for one year at $5 million, is pending a physical for the 32-year-old Walker.

Walker, the 11th overall pick in the 2004 MLB Draft by the Pittsburgh Pirates, split time last year between the New York Mets and Milwaukee Brewers, batting .265 and hitting 14 home runs. He slots in at second base for the Yankees, but showed a willingness to play first and third base while with the Brewers.

–The Minnesota Twins made it official, announcing their one-year, $12 million deal with right-hander Lance Lynn.

Lynn agreed to terms on Saturday but still needed to pass a physical. The deal also includes the chance for Lynn to earn an additional $2 million in performance incentives.

Last season, Lynn posted an 11-8 record with a 3.43 ERA and 153 punch outs over 33 starts with the St. Louis Cardinals. The 33 starts tied for the National League lead. Lynn collected a personal-best 18 wins with a 3.78 ERA and 180 strikeouts during his second MLB season in 2012, earning his lone All-Star selection.

–The Seattle Mariners are playing it safe with star second baseman Robinson Cano after he left Sunday’s game against the Reds complaining of tightness.

He felt his left hamstring tighten up while chasing down a second-inning pop up in shallow right field and immediately slowed up. Cano said he would get an MRI to make sure there’s no additional damage.

“I could feel it when I was running for the pop up behind first base,” Cano said, per The Seattle Times. “That’s why I stopped. I didn’t even see (Daniel Vogelbach) running for the ball. But that’s why I stopped and on the next ground ball I didn’t even move. That’s when I called the dugout.”

–The Houston Astros took a day off of spring training to visit the White House in celebration of their World Series title. But not everyone on the team made the trip. Most noticeable among the absent was Puerto Rican All-Star shortstop Carlos Correa.

Correa, 23, and closer Ken Giles, 27, did not attend the ceremony, which included an address by President Donald Trump in the East Room. The club said both players had family obligations, according to multiple reports.

Retired MLB star Carlos Beltran, also from Puerto Rico, did not attend, either. He’s been a vocal critic of the government’s response to the devastation in Puerto Rico from Hurricane Maria in September. But last month he told the New York Post he was not skipping the event because of Trump.

–The Baltimore Orioles are aggressively pursuing younger fans by offering free upper-deck tickets in the 2018 season.

Any parent purchasing an upper-deck ticket at regular price can get up to two free tickets for kids 9 and under. Baltimore has dubbed it the “Kids Cheer Free” program.

The team is tweaking the experience at Camden Yards to make it more kid-friendly, expanding its children’s entertainment center to include a new interactive treehouse and jungle gym. Baltimore is also offering more family-friendly food and beverage options and announced that there will be fireworks after every Friday home game through the summer.

–Field Level Media

Leave a Reply