Five things to know about former Arizona Wildcats star DeAndre Ayton, one of Field Level Media’s Top 5 prospects in the 2018 NBA Draft:
1. Ayton is 7-1 and 250 pounds, and played one season at Arizona, averaging 20.1 points on 61.2-percent shooting to go with 11.6 rebounds.
2. Ayton hails from Nassau, Bahamas, and never touched a basketball before age 12, when he was introduced to the sport in an island church league.
3. Projected as a top-three pick, Ayton worked out for only one team before the draft — the Phoenix Suns, holders of the No. 1 overall pick. After that workout (and still two weeks before the draft), he said “I know I’m going No. 1.”
4. Ayton moved to the United States — first San Diego, then Phoenix — with basketball in mind. Ayton said he made enough money working for his stepfather’s plumbing business to attend a basketball camp, where he fell in love with the game.
5. Ayton refuted an ESPN report that surfaced before the NCAA Tournament linking his family to a payment of $100,000 from Arizona.