The Minnesota Twins optioned slumping third baseman Miguel Sano to Class A Fort Myers after Thursday’s loss to the Detroit Tigers, manager Paul Molitor revealed during his postgame press conference.
Sano, a 2017 All-Star, is batting just .203 with seven homers and 27 RBIs this season. He has struck out 66 times in 148 at-bats.
“We’re going to get him down there and give him an opportunity to try and get things back on track,” Molitor said.
Minnesota also optioned outfielder Jake Cave to Triple-A Rochester. Cave, 25, was 3-for-10 with one homer in four games since recently being recalled and is 4-for-19 with two homers for the season.
The Twins said they will fill the two roster openings prior to Friday’s road game against the Cleveland Indians. First baseman Joe Mauer (neck/concussion) is currently on a minor league rehab stint and will likely be one of the two additions.
Sano batted .264 with 28 homers and 77 RBIs last season before having his stellar campaign shortened by a shin injury. He has been unable to find his stroke this season and Molitor and the Twins finally ran out of patience.
Molitor was asked about the decision to send Sano to A-ball as opposed to optioning him to Rochester.
“Just the overall picture of all the things that he needs to do to be the guy we think he can be,” Molitor said. “He’s an important part of what we feel we will be eventually. He’s not there right now and we have to take a step backwards here and then we will have to determine the steps moving forward.”
Sano, 25, had an injury setback earlier this season when he missed 24 games due to a left hamstring strain. He was batting just .213 with five homers, 14 RBIs and 36 strikeouts in 80 at-bats when placed on the DL.
He returned on May 25 and showed signs of breaking out of his slump with two homers and 10 RBIs during a five-game span. But he has since gone 5-for-33 with no homers and 16 strikeouts in his past nine games.
Sano also was cleared by MLB earlier this year in an incident in which photographer Betsy Bissen accused him of grabbing her wrist and trying to kiss her and forcibly pull her into a bathroom after an autograph appearance at a Minneapolis-area shopping outlet on Oct. 3, 2015.
Bissen went public with the claim on Dec. 28, 2017.
Sano denied the allegations. MLB investigated Bissen’s claims and determined no discipline was warranted.
–Field Level Media