Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff has agreed to a three-year contract extension with the Formula 1 team.
The deal runs through 2026 for the 52-year-old Austrian, who joined Mercedes in 2013 and owns a third of the team.
There had been speculation about Wolff’s future after a second straight disappointing season that included just one victory.
Mercedes won eight consecutive constructors’ championships from 2014-21, with Lewis Hamilton capturing six of his seven drivers’ titles during that span.
Wolff said the decision to maintain his day-to-day role as team principal came after conversations with co-owners Jim Ratcliffe and Ola Kallenius.
“I think the most important thing between the three of us is that we trust each other,” Wolff told the Daily Telegraph on Monday. “At the end of the day, as a shareholder myself, I want the best return on investment. And the best return on investment is winning.
“I’m not going to try to hang on to a position that I think somebody is going to do better than me. I make sure that I have people around who can tell me otherwise. In the end the three of us decided: ‘Let’s do it again’.”
Hamilton and George Russell will continue as the team’s drivers in 2024 after signing two-year contracts.
Hamilton, 39, has not won a race since the end of 2021 but Wolff said he still believes he can chase an eighth drivers’ championship — breaking the record he shares with Michael Schumacher.
“If we are able to give him a car that he actually feels, that drives in a way that he can trust, he will be on the level that’s needed to win the championship — 39 is no age,” Wolff said.
The 2024 F1 season begins March 2 in Bahrain.
–Field Level Media
Race leader William Byron finished a four-lap shootout under caution in a Presidents’ Day Daytona 500 delayed a day because of rain, making him the winner of the 66th running…
NASCAR officials postponed the Daytona 500 to Monday due to rain at Daytona International Speedway. The 66th running of The Great American Race will be paired with the season-opening Xfinity…
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — After slamming into the outside wall approaching Turn 1 at Daytona International Speedway in Thursday night’s second Bluegreen Vacations Duel 150-mile qualifying race, Ryan Blaney was…
Daytona 500 postponed, joins Xfinity opener on Monday
NASCAR notebook: Ryan Blaney calls for common sense on speedway pushing
2024 Daytona 500: Preview, Best Bets, Longshot Pick
Signs point to thrilling finish at Sunday’s Daytona 500