Sergio Garcia out of Masters after positive COVID-19 test

Sergio Garcia withdrew from this week’s Masters Tournament following a positive COVID-19 test, officials at Augusta National Golf Club confirmed Monday.

Garcia, the 2017 Masters champion, will be missing his first major tournament in 21 years.



“On Saturday night after driving back from the Houston Open, I started feeling a bit of a sore throat and a cough. The symptoms stayed with me on Sunday morning so I decided to get tested for COVID-19 and so did my wife Angela,” Garcia said. “Thankfully she tested negative, but I didn’t.”

Sergio Garcia
Rob Schumacher-USA TODAY Sports

Garcia said he was feeling well overall.

“The important thing is that my family and I are feeling good,” he said. “We’ll come back stronger and give the green jacket a go next April.”

The 2020 Masters was rescheduled from its usual April slot to November because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Garcia’s family hit hard by COVID-19

Garcia spoke last month about the impact COVID-19 has had on his extended family after he won the Sanderson Farms Championship in Jackson, Miss.



“It’s been tough (in 2020) because I lost two uncles (Paco and Angel) because of COVID, so it’s been tough for my dad. … It’s sad. And I know that a lot of families have lost a lot more people, but you never want to lose anyone like that, and I wanted to win this for them,” he said.

It was the first PGA Tour win for Garcia, 40, since his Masters’ victory three years ago. He has 11 tour wins in all.

–Field Level Media (@FieldLevelMedia)