After more than five weeks with no decision, the Chicago White Sox still feel positive about their meeting with free agent infielder Manny Machado.
White Sox manager Rick Renteria said general manager Rick Hahn put a “great presentation” together for that Dec. 17 meeting at Guaranteed Rate Field.
“It was very detailed. I would say this: If I was on the other side, I would have been very, very impressed,” Renteria told reporters on Wednesday.
“I thought it was a great meeting, great young man. We expressed our interest. We talked about what we are as an organization. And we looked forward. … You just don’t know yet where things will fall. I thought it was a very positive meeting for all parties involved.”
ESPN’s Buster Olney reported earlier this month that the White Sox offered Machado a seven-year, $175 million deal, terms the player’s agent later called “inaccurate and reckless.”
Machado, who played his first six seasons with the Baltimore Orioles before a mid-July trade to the Los Angeles Dodgers, had been reported to be seeking a contract in the 10-year, $300 million-plus range.
Renteria said there’s no sense of urgency in the organization, even though pitchers and catchers report to Glendale, Ariz., on Feb. 13.
“He’s one of the two premier young players available in the Major Leagues right now,” Renteria said, referring to Machado and the also unsigned Bryce Harper. “So what the dynamics are, why it’s not completed yet with anybody, let alone ourselves, you kind of scratch your head a little bit. Everybody is doing their due diligence and trying to get a young man that’s extremely talented, probably doing the best they can to get him under best terms.”