World No. 19 Arthur Fils of France withdrew from the French Open on Saturday because of a hip injury.
“I have to say something quickly. I’m not going to be able to play here this year. It’s a shame, of course. I’m very sorry about it,” Fils told reporters.
Fils, 21, has been bothered by the injury since retiring in the first set of his second-round match at the Italian Open against Andrea Pellegrino of Italy. He withdrew to focus being ready to play at Roland Garros in Paris before home-country fans.
“So I was not able to practice for the last two weeks. Actually, the practice today was my first-ever points since two weeks (ago) in Rome,” Fils said. “I will not be fit 100% to play the tournament, and I will not take any risk like I did last year. I don’t want to be stupid.”
A stress fracture in his lower back caused Fils to withdraw from the 2025 French Open after the second round.
Fils, who owns a 22-7 record this year, was scheduled to face 2015 French Open champion Stan Wawrinka in the first round. Wawrinka instead will face lucky loser Jesper de Jong of the Netherlands.
French Open play begins Sunday.
–Field Level Media




