Our Clients:

Field Level Media - Professional sports content solutions | FLM

Mar 4, 2026 5:34 pm

Daniil Medvedev, two other Russians leave Dubai for Indian Wells

daniil medvedev us open
Photo by: Geoff Burke-Imagn Images

Former World No. 1 Daniil Medvedev and two other Russian players made it out of Dubai and will play in the BNP Paribas Open after travel plans were thrown into chaos amid the United States’ and Israel’s attacks on Iran, according to multiple reports.

Andrey Rublev and Karen Khachanov traveled with Medvedev and made it out of the United Arab Emirates on Tuesday, with reports indicating that Rublev’s mother said the trio drove to Oman and flew to Istanbul.

Medvedev, the 2021 U.S. Open champion, won the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships on Saturday after a walkover against injured Dutchman Tallon Griekspoor.

The ATP confirmed on Wednesday that some of its tour players made it out of the area, where the airspace had been shut down due to tensions in the Middle East following Saturday’s airstrikes on Iran. Dubai was among several neighboring regions hit by retaliatory Iranian strikes.

“The vast majority of players who were in Dubai have successfully departed today on selected flights,” the ATP said in a statement Wednesday. “The safety and wellbeing of our players, support teams and staff members remains our highest priority, and we continue to remain in close contact with those affected.”

Several other ATP players were reportedly stranded in Dubai after the weekend attacks. One was Griekspoor, who pulled out of the final in Dubai due to a left hamstring injury. Griekspoor was eventually able to fly to Milan, the De Telegraaf newspaper reported Wednesday.

Doubles finalists Harri Heliovaara (Finland), Henry Patten (Great Britain), Mate Pavic (Croatia) and Marcelo Arevalo (El Salvador) had also reportedly been stranded in Dubai.

Heliovaara wrote in a blog post Wednesday that he and doubles partner Patten, after an unsuccessful attempt to reach Oman to catch a flight to Helsinki, were finally safely on board a flight out of the region.

“We got on a flight to Milan, and as I write this, we are in Italian airspace. We will probably reach Finland on Wednesday evening,” Heliovaara wrote in Finnish on his personal blog.

The status and location of Pavic and Arevalo, the defending Indian Wells doubles champions, are unclear.

Canadian Felix Auger-Aliassime left on one of the final flights to leave Dubai on Saturday, according to the Montreal Gazette. His agent, Olivier van Lindonk, told the newspaper Auger-Aliassime made it to Indian Wells.

Main draw play at Indian Wells began Wednesday but all three Russian players have first-round byes due to seeding. Medvedev is the No. 11 seed, Khachanov is No. 16 and Rublev is No. 17.

Medvedev and Rublev were forced to withdraw from Tuesday night’s Eisenhower Cup mixed doubles exhibition at Indian Wells.

Medvedev was slated to team with Russian WTA star Mirra Andreeva and was replaced by Alexander Bublik of Kazakhstan. Learner Tien filled in for Rublev alongside fellow American Amanda Anisimova.

–Field Level Media

You may also like

Serena Williams, Venus Williams
Aug 18, 2026 2:03 am

Williams sisters, teaming for first time since ’22, lose in Cincy opener

Nearly four years after the last time they teamed up to play doubles, Serena Williams and Venus Williams lost a first-round match to Peyton Stearns and Ukraine’s Marta Kostyuk 6-2,…

Flavio Cobolli
Aug 17, 2026 8:43 pm

Flavio Cobolli rallies from brink to advance in Cincinnati

Seventh-seeded Flavio Cobolli was two points from defeat Monday before mounting a comeback to defeat No. 28 seed Alexander Blockx 7-5, 4-6, 7-5 in the third round of the Cincinnati…

iga swiatek
Aug 17, 2026 7:11 pm

Resurgent Iga Swiatek advances to 4th round in Cincinnati

Iga Swiatek’s struggles early in the 2026 season seem like a distant memory the way she is competing this summer. The seventh seed and defending Cincinnati Open champion shook off…

More Tennis News

Serena Williams, Venus Williams
Aug 18, 2026 2:03 am

Williams sisters, teaming for first time since ’22, lose in Cincy opener

Nearly four years after the last time they teamed up to play doubles, Serena Williams and Venus Williams lost a first-round match to Peyton Stearns and Ukraine’s Marta Kostyuk 6-2,…

Flavio Cobolli
Aug 17, 2026 8:43 pm

Flavio Cobolli rallies from brink to advance in Cincinnati

iga swiatek
Aug 17, 2026 7:11 pm

Resurgent Iga Swiatek advances to 4th round in Cincinnati

sabalenka aryna
Aug 17, 2026 12:31 pm

Report: Vote coming to ease WTA tourney requirements

Felix Auger-Aliassime
Aug 16, 2026 8:03 pm

Felix Auger-Aliassime returns with victory at Cincinnati Open

Read all
fb-post
advertisment
title-icon

Upcoming events

See all odds