Our Clients:

Field Level Media - Professional sports content solutions | FLM

May 20, 2026 11:36 am

French Open pay protest to include interview refusals

aryna sabalenka paris 2024
Photo by: Susan Mullane-Imagn Images

The world’s top tennis stars reportedly will voice their displeasure with the French Open prize pool by remaining silent.

Players selected to participate in Friday’s opening press conferences at Roland Garros in Paris will walk out after 15 minutes to protest the 15% average allocation of revenues toward the prize money at the Grand Slams, newspapers L’Equipe and The Guardian reported Wednesday.

Other players in the ATP and WTA draws will refuse to conduct additional interviews with the French Open’s primary media partners, TNT Sports and Eurosport, per the reports.

The French Open announced last month that the prize pool was increasing about 10% this year to $72.1 million.

World No. 1 players Aryna Sabalenka and Jannik Sinner and others expressed their disappointment on May 4, arguing that the percentage of total revenue at Roland Garros had declined from 15.5% in 2024 to 14.9% in 2026.

“With estimated revenues of over 400 million euros for this year’s tournament, prize money as a percentage of revenue will likely still be less than 15%, far short of the 22% that players have requested to bring the Grand Slams into line with the ATP and WTA Combined 1000 events,” the players said.

Players are also seeking better representation, health options and pensions from the four Grand Slam events.

–Field Level Media

You may also like

sabalenka
Aug 19, 2026 12:11 am

No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka advances to third round in Cincinnati with ease

Top-seeded Aryna Sabalenka needed just 54 minutes to rout China’s Wang Xinyu 6-1, 6-3 on Tuesday, coasting into the third round of the Cincinnati Open. It was a dominant showing…

brandon nakashima
Aug 18, 2026 8:06 pm

Brandon Nakashima continues summer giant-killer act in Cincinnati

The hottest American on the ATP Tour right now is also the quietest. But Brandon Nakashima is letting his big serve and forehand do the talking this summer. After a…

Venus Serena Williams
Aug 18, 2026 2:31 pm

Venus Williams receives wild card for US Open — Serena next?

Venus Williams received one of seven wild cards on Tuesday for the upcoming singles tournament at the U.S. Open. The U.S. Tennis Association said there was one wild card remaining…

More Tennis News

sabalenka
Aug 19, 2026 12:11 am

No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka advances to third round in Cincinnati with ease

Top-seeded Aryna Sabalenka needed just 54 minutes to rout China’s Wang Xinyu 6-1, 6-3 on Tuesday, coasting into the third round of the Cincinnati Open. It was a dominant showing…

brandon nakashima
Aug 18, 2026 8:06 pm

Brandon Nakashima continues summer giant-killer act in Cincinnati

Venus Serena Williams
Aug 18, 2026 2:31 pm

Venus Williams receives wild card for US Open — Serena next?

Serena Williams, Venus Williams
Aug 18, 2026 2:03 am

Williams sisters, teaming for first time since ’22, lose in Cincy opener

Flavio Cobolli
Aug 17, 2026 8:43 pm

Flavio Cobolli rallies from brink to advance in Cincinnati

Read all
fb-post
advertisment
title-icon

Upcoming events

See all odds