ATP, WTA events off until June

The ATP and WTA suspended all tournaments through June 7 because of the coronavirus pandemic.

In a joint statement issued Wednesday, the tours said the clay-court spring season was off the schedule.

“At this time, tournaments taking place from 8 June 2020 onwards are still planning to go ahead as per the published schedule,” the statement read.

The French Open already had been pushed from May to September, meaning this suspension affects combined ATP/WTA tournaments in Madrid and Rome, WTA events in Strasbourg, France, and Rabat, Morocco, and ATP events in Estoril, Portugal; Lyon, France; Munich; and Geneva.

Both tours said their rankings will be frozen “until further notice.” Serbian Novak Djokovic and Australian Ashleigh Barty are the No. 1 players on their respective tours.

Last week, the tours said they were on hiatus for about six weeks.

The BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells, Calif., and the Miami Open were among the tournaments already canceled.

–Field Level Media