Our Clients:

Field Level Media - Professional sports content solutions | FLM

Jun 26, 2024 10:09 pm

Mercedes to take ‘as long as possible’ in naming Lewis Hamilton replacement

lewis hamilton

Mercedes will take its time before naming a replacement for departed Lewis Hamilton, motorsport boss Toto Wolff told reporters.

Wolff said he will take “as long as possible” before committing to a successor on his Formula 1 team for next season, disputing reports from Germany that Andrea Kimi Antonelli had already been appointed to the role alongside George Russell.

Hamilton, 39, is jumping to Ferrari in 2025 but continues to race for Mercedes in the meantime.

The young protege Antonelli could be the choice next season, but speculation persists that the German manufacturer could try to lure Max Verstappen from Red Bull, where he is under contract through 2028. However, the three-time F1 champion has also been at the center of a power struggle.

Wolff has acknowledged that any possibility of luring an experienced, accomplished driver would hinge on his team performing satisfactorily in the short term.

“We’ve just got to get better and hopefully consolidate our ability to get on the podium and, at a certain stage, be able to win races on our own,” Wolff said. “And good drivers will want to come.”

Hamilton is on board with the idea of finishing on a high note.

“I never thought that at this point in my life that I would have hunger like I do right now,” he said. “To finish on the high with this team, it would be a dream.”

Hamilton, whose 103 wins are the most in F1 history, has been with Mercedes since leaving McLaren in 2013.

–Field Level Media

You may also like

Tyler Reddick
May 23, 2026 2:45 pm

NASCAR Cup qualifying for Coca-Cola 600 canceled

CONCORD, N.C.-Saturday’s qualifying session for the Coca-Cola 600 has been canceled because of continued adverse weather at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Accordingly, NASCAR Cup Series points leader Tyler Reddick will start…

Kyle Busch
May 23, 2026 12:13 pm

Family: Kyle Busch died from severe pneumonia, sepsis

NASCAR driver Kyle Busch died from severe pneumonia that turned into sepsis, according to a statement provided by his family on Saturday. “The medical evaluation provided to the Busch Family…

kyle busch, drives
May 22, 2026 11:05 pm

RCR sets aside No. 8 for future use by Kyle Busch’s son

Richard Childress Racing parked the No. 8 Chevrolet indefinitely on Friday, the day after driver Kyle Busch died at age 41 following a severe illness. The car number could return…

More Auto Racing News

Tyler Reddick
May 23, 2026 2:45 pm

NASCAR Cup qualifying for Coca-Cola 600 canceled

CONCORD, N.C.-Saturday’s qualifying session for the Coca-Cola 600 has been canceled because of continued adverse weather at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Accordingly, NASCAR Cup Series points leader Tyler Reddick will start…

Kyle Busch
May 23, 2026 12:13 pm

Family: Kyle Busch died from severe pneumonia, sepsis

kyle busch, drives
May 22, 2026 11:05 pm

RCR sets aside No. 8 for future use by Kyle Busch’s son

alexander rossi
May 22, 2026 8:07 pm

Indianapolis 500 notebook: Alexander Rossi good to go after Monday crash

Ross Chastain
May 22, 2026 6:26 pm

Drivers prepare for emotional Coca-Cola 600 in Charlotte

Read all
fb-post
advertisment
title-icon

Upcoming events

See all odds