Our Clients:

Field Level Media - Professional sports content solutions | FLM

Sep 27, 2024 1:45 pm

Sergio Perez on rumors: I’ll retire ‘when I want’

sergio perez red bull

Red Bull Racing driver Sergio Perez admits he briefly considered leaving Formula 1 but insists that his retirement is still at least two years away.

The 34-year-old Mexican racer’s future has been the subject of speculation, with rumors that Red Bull planned to replace him before his contract expires after the 2025 F1 season.

“These past six months I did think about it, but it took me three seconds to make the decision,” Perez told DAZN about walking away.

“In the end, it would be the easy route, after so many years to quit and kind of give up. I would never have forgiven myself for that.

“I want to finish my career when I want and not when someone tells me. That’s my main focus: to get to the point where I can decide my future.”

Perez is winless on the F1 circuit this season. He has 14 top-10 showings, including three runner-up finishes, and ranks eighth in the current standings. Red Bull teammate Max Verstappen leads the table as he chases his fourth straight world championship.

Perez has six grand prix victories and 39 podium finishes in his career but wants more.

“For now, I am very motivated, to be honest, I really want to continue in F1,” Perez said. “I enjoy it. Especially the good times you really enjoy, but you also learn to enjoy the bad ones.”

Perez said he doesn’t plan to race into his 40s, like 43-year-old Fernando Alonso of Spain. Perez said he wants to spend more time with his small children as they grow up.

He said he “will be here for at least two more years. However, I don’t see myself in Formula 1 for much longer.”

–Field Level Media

You may also like

chris gabehart
Feb 19, 2026 9:57 pm

Joe Gibbs Racing files $8M lawsuit against ex-competition director

Joe Gibbs Racing, in a lawsuit filed Thursday in the Western District of North Carolina, accused its former competition director, Chris Gabehart, of sharing confidential information and trade secrets with…

tyler reddick, jordan
Feb 19, 2026 8:59 pm

Tyler Reddick’s Daytona 500 win scores massive ratings for Fox

Tyler Reddick’s victory in the 2026 Daytona 500 scored massive ratings for Fox Sports, which saw an 11% increase over last year’s race. The 7.489 million viewers for the race…

Stefano Domenicali
Feb 16, 2026 6:09 pm

Barcelona stays in F1 race rotation with extension through 2032

Formula 1 will continue to race in Barcelona for another six years after it struck a deal that calls for the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya to alternate hosting with the Belgian…

More Auto Racing News

chris gabehart
Feb 19, 2026 9:57 pm

Joe Gibbs Racing files $8M lawsuit against ex-competition director

Joe Gibbs Racing, in a lawsuit filed Thursday in the Western District of North Carolina, accused its former competition director, Chris Gabehart, of sharing confidential information and trade secrets with…

tyler reddick, jordan
Feb 19, 2026 8:59 pm

Tyler Reddick’s Daytona 500 win scores massive ratings for Fox

Stefano Domenicali
Feb 16, 2026 6:09 pm

Barcelona stays in F1 race rotation with extension through 2032

tyler reddick
Feb 15, 2026 5:57 pm

Tyler Reddick captures Daytona 500 in thrilling finish

Daytona 500
Feb 14, 2026 12:49 pm

Daytona 500 start time moved up due to weather concerns

Read all
fb-post
advertisment
title-icon

Upcoming events

See all odds
[gs-fb-comments]