Our Clients:

Field Level Media - Professional sports content solutions | FLM

Nov 13, 2024 1:49 pm

Sergio Perez: Rejected two other offers to stay at Red Bull

sergio perez

Sergio Perez said he rejected opportunities from two other Formula 1 teams to return to Red Bull for the 2025 season.

Perez signed an extension earlier this year but has come under intense scrutiny while falling to eighth in the drivers’ standings. While teammate Max Verstappen is closing in a fourth consecutive championship, the team has dropped to third in the constructor standings with Perez recording only 48 points over the past 15 races.

“I had an opportunity, two opportunities, to change teams,” Perez said in an interview with GQ, without disclosing which teams approached him. “When I looked at it, I thought, I really love the challenge I have at Red Bull.

“It’s a massive challenge being Max’s teammate. It’s a challenge that basically trains you for all of it.

“So, I said I want to spend my last part of my career at the top, at the very top, where the pressure, it’s full-on.”

Team principal Christian Horner has been openly critical of Perez’s form this season, while others have called for Red Bull to replace the 34-year-old driver next season. Multiple names have been tied to various rumors, including young drivers Liam Lawson and Franco Colapinto.

The six-time F1 race winner said he isn’t bothered by the rumors, which come with being an F1 driver.

“It’s how the sport is. You have one, two bad races, a lot of negative talk about you and so on,” Perez told GQ.

“But it’s also something in the culture of the team as well — with Red Bull. The surrounding talk, the contract talks and so on. It’s just part of the game.”

Perez hasn’t won this season, and his most recent podium came in China back in April. With three races remaining, he sits 39 points behind Lewis Hamilton and 41 behind George Russell in the standings. Red Bull is 13 points back of Ferrari and 49 behind McLaren in the constructor standings.

“At the end of the day, when you go through a difficult period, there is a lot of talk,” he said. “But ultimately, there is 90 percent of the grid who would have loved to have my career.

“When you are a driver, you only think about the next race — the next challenge, the next category, the next contract. It’s always about next, next, next.

“Sometimes it’s good to step back out of it and remember how far you’ve gone. It’s a very brutal sport.”

–Field Level Media

You may also like

alex palou
May 17, 2026 10:40 pm

Defending champion Alex Palou on pole for Indy 500

Alex Palou put himself in prime position to defend his Indianapolis 500 title by winning the pole in qualifying Sunday for the May 24 race. The Spaniard earned his second…

denny hamlin
May 17, 2026 5:20 pm

Denny Hamlin rallies to win All-Star Race

Denny Hamlin tracked down Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Chase Briscoe, got by with 29 laps remaining and held on to claim the $1 million payday for Sunday’s NASCAR All-Star Race…

Denny Hamlin
May 16, 2026 3:40 pm

Denny Hamlin tops Dover All-Star grid after late qualifying charge

DOVER, Del. – Denny Hamlin has claimed pole position for Sunday’s NASCAR All-Star Race (1 p.m. ET, FS1, FOX Deportes, PRN, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio) in a late qualifying session effort,…

More Auto Racing News

alex palou
May 17, 2026 10:40 pm

Defending champion Alex Palou on pole for Indy 500

Alex Palou put himself in prime position to defend his Indianapolis 500 title by winning the pole in qualifying Sunday for the May 24 race. The Spaniard earned his second…

denny hamlin
May 17, 2026 5:20 pm

Denny Hamlin rallies to win All-Star Race

Denny Hamlin
May 16, 2026 3:40 pm

Denny Hamlin tops Dover All-Star grid after late qualifying charge

indianapolis motor speedway rain
May 16, 2026 10:49 am

Rain wipes out Indy 500 practice, threatens qualifying

Brendan Fraser
May 15, 2026 10:17 pm

Brendan Fraser named Indy 500 honorary starter

Read all
fb-post
advertisment
title-icon

Upcoming events

See all odds