Our Clients:

Field Level Media - Professional sports content solutions | FLM

May 22, 2026 11:49 am

U.S. says Congo team must isolate before arriving for World Cup

andrew giuliani
Photo by: Brian Snyder-Reuters via Imagn Images

Due to an Ebola outbreak in their country, members of Congo’s national soccer team must isolate before entering the U.S. for the World Cup.

Andrew Giuliani, executive director of the White House Task Force for the World Cup, confirmed to ESPN on Friday that the Congolese delegation must maintain a bubble where they currently are training in Belgium and isolate for 21 days or risk being denied entry.

Congo is in Group K for this summer’s World Cup in North America. Its first game is against Portugal on June 17 in Houston, followed by matches against Colombia on June 23 in Guadalajara, Mexico, and against Uzbekistan on June 27 in Atlanta.

“We’ve been very clear to Congo that they should maintain the integrity of their bubble for 21 days before they can then come to Houston on June 11,” Giuliani said, per ESPN. “We’ve made it very clear to the Congo government as well, that they need to maintain that bubble or they risk not being able to travel to the United States. We cannot be any clearer.”

All of Congo’s team members, along with French head coach Sebastien Desabre, are based outside of the central African country. Most play professionally in Europe, including defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka (West Ham United) and forward Yoane Wissa (Newcastle United) in England’s Premier League and captain and defender Chancel Mbemba (Lille) in France’s Ligue 1.

Giuliani said the U.S. isn’t taking any chances when it comes to health and safety issues surrounding the World Cup.

“We want to make sure that there is nothing that’s going to come in or near our borders here on this,” he said.

Earlier this month, Congo confirmed an outbreak of a rare form of Ebola called Bundibugyo. More than 130 people have died among the nearly 600 suspected cases.

Congo canceled its training camp in the capital city of Kinshasa amid the outbreak and relocated to Belgium, where the team has a friendly scheduled against Denmark in Liege on June 3. Congo also has a friendly scheduled against Chile in southern Spain on June 9.

–Field Level Media

You may also like

Jonah Tong
May 22, 2026 4:17 pm

Mets call up No. 2 prospect Jonah Tong, DFA Craig Kimbrel

The New York Mets recalled right-hander Jonah Tong, ranked as the organization’s No. 2 prospect by MLB Pipeline, and designated veteran closer Craig Kimbrel for assignment in a corresponding move…

Kyle Schwarber
May 22, 2026 4:10 pm

Phillies’ Kyle Schwarber returns to lineup vs. Guardians

Philadelphia Phillies slugger Kyle Schwarber will return from a three-game absence to play in Friday’s game against the visiting Cleveland Guardians. Schwarber, who was sidelined due to illness, is batting…

Zavier Gozo
May 22, 2026 4:07 pm

Real Salt Lake out to improve road mark vs. slumping Minnesota

Real Salt Lake take a two-match winning streak with them to Saint Paul, Minn., on Saturday for a key Western Conference match against Minnesota United. It’s the final match until…

More News News

Jonah Tong
May 22, 2026 4:17 pm

Mets call up No. 2 prospect Jonah Tong, DFA Craig Kimbrel

The New York Mets recalled right-hander Jonah Tong, ranked as the organization’s No. 2 prospect by MLB Pipeline, and designated veteran closer Craig Kimbrel for assignment in a corresponding move…

Kyle Schwarber
May 22, 2026 4:10 pm

Phillies’ Kyle Schwarber returns to lineup vs. Guardians

Zavier Gozo
May 22, 2026 4:07 pm

Real Salt Lake out to improve road mark vs. slumping Minnesota

Great american Ball Park tarp
May 22, 2026 3:10 pm

Cards, Reds to play Saturday doubleheader after postponement

Davy Arnaud
May 22, 2026 3:04 pm

In first match since firing coach, Austin FC take on St. Louis City

Read all
fb-post
advertisment
title-icon

Upcoming events

See all odds