Our Clients:

Field Level Media - Professional sports content solutions | FLM

Oct 8, 2024 11:27 am

Former USMNT coach Gregg Berhalter hired to lead Fire

gregg berhalter

The Chicago Fire announced the hiring of former U.S. men’s national team coach Gregg Berhalter as the club’s new director of football and head coach on Tuesday.

Berhalter, 51, becomes the MLS club’s 10th full-time manager and will oversee all of the Fire’s sporting operations, reporting directly to owner and chairman Joe Mansueto.

“After a thorough and detailed search that included a number of exceptional candidates, it became clear that Gregg Berhalter was the right choice to lead our sporting operations,” Mansueto said. “His previous success in MLS, where he thrived in a dual role, and his experience leading the U.S. Men’s National Team over the last six years make him an ideal fit for our vision for the club moving forward.”

Berhalter, who previously coached in the league with the Columbus Crew (2013-18), replaces current head coach Frank Klopas. Klopas, 58, will step down after the Fire’s regular season finale on Oct. 19 and will transition into a new role as vice president of football.

The Fire (7-17-9, 30 points) currently are in last place in the 15-team Eastern Conference.

“I’m honored to be named director of football and head coach of the Chicago Fire, and I would like to thank Joe Mansueto for his trust,” Berhalter said. “Chicago is an incredible city, built on communities of hard-working and passionate people who truly love soccer. I look forward to working alongside our staff and players to transform the Fire into a world-class organization that all our fans and the city can be proud of and will support.”

Columbus made the playoffs four times under Berhalter, reaching the MLS Cup final in 2015 but losing 2-1 to the Portland Timbers.

The USMNT won three major trophies with Berhalter — CONCACAF Nations League (2019-20, 2023-24) and the 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup — and competed in the 2022 FIFA World Cup. The team finished 44-17-13 under his direction. Berhalter was relieved of his duties by USA Soccer in July 2024 after an early exit in the Copa America group stage.

–Field Level Media

You may also like

darius johnson
May 19, 2026 2:13 pm

Earthquakes sign F Darius Johnson through end of season

The San Jose Earthquakes on Tuesday signed forward Darius Johnson through the end of the 2026 season. The deal with the Grenada international includes options through June 2027 and for…

Findlay Curtis
May 19, 2026 1:30 pm

Scotland’s World Cup roster spans 24 years in age

Scotland manager Steve Clarke announced his 26-man World Cup roster on Tuesday, which spans from 19-year-old attacker Findlay Curtis to 43-year-old goalkeeper Craig Gordon. Gordon made the roster despite being…

Cristiano ROnaldo
May 19, 2026 12:52 pm

Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo named to record 6th World Cup roster

Cristiano Ronaldo and the World Cup continue to be an inseparable pair as the star Portugal forward was just named to his record sixth tournament going back to 2006. Portugal…

More Soccer News

darius johnson
May 19, 2026 2:13 pm

Earthquakes sign F Darius Johnson through end of season

The San Jose Earthquakes on Tuesday signed forward Darius Johnson through the end of the 2026 season. The deal with the Grenada international includes options through June 2027 and for…

Findlay Curtis
May 19, 2026 1:30 pm

Scotland’s World Cup roster spans 24 years in age

Cristiano ROnaldo
May 19, 2026 12:52 pm

Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo named to record 6th World Cup roster

Neymar
May 18, 2026 7:33 pm

Neymar makes Brazil’s WC roster, Joao Pedro left off

xabi alonso
May 18, 2026 3:59 pm

Tottenham out to secure Premier League spot in test at Chelsea

Read all
fb-post
advertisment
title-icon

Upcoming events

See all odds