Our Clients:

Field Level Media - Professional sports content solutions | FLM

May 22, 2026 11:49 am

U.S. says Congo team must isolate before arriving for World Cup

andrew giuliani
Photo by: Brian Snyder-Reuters via Imagn Images

Due to an Ebola outbreak in their country, members of Congo’s national soccer team must isolate before entering the U.S. for the World Cup.

Andrew Giuliani, executive director of the White House Task Force for the World Cup, confirmed to ESPN on Friday that the Congolese delegation must maintain a bubble where they currently are training in Belgium and isolate for 21 days or risk being denied entry.

Congo is in Group K for this summer’s World Cup in North America. Its first game is against Portugal on June 17 in Houston, followed by matches against Colombia on June 23 in Guadalajara, Mexico, and against Uzbekistan on June 27 in Atlanta.

“We’ve been very clear to Congo that they should maintain the integrity of their bubble for 21 days before they can then come to Houston on June 11,” Giuliani said, per ESPN. “We’ve made it very clear to the Congo government as well, that they need to maintain that bubble or they risk not being able to travel to the United States. We cannot be any clearer.”

All of Congo’s team members, along with French head coach Sebastien Desabre, are based outside of the central African country. Most play professionally in Europe, including defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka (West Ham United) and forward Yoane Wissa (Newcastle United) in England’s Premier League and captain and defender Chancel Mbemba (Lille) in France’s Ligue 1.

Giuliani said the U.S. isn’t taking any chances when it comes to health and safety issues surrounding the World Cup.

“We want to make sure that there is nothing that’s going to come in or near our borders here on this,” he said.

Earlier this month, Congo confirmed an outbreak of a rare form of Ebola called Bundibugyo. More than 130 people have died among the nearly 600 suspected cases.

Congo canceled its training camp in the capital city of Kinshasa amid the outbreak and relocated to Belgium, where the team has a friendly scheduled against Denmark in Liege on June 3. Congo also has a friendly scheduled against Chile in southern Spain on June 9.

–Field Level Media

You may also like

pedro ramirez cubs
May 22, 2026 1:41 pm

Cubs promote INF Pedro Ramirez, place Matt Shaw on IL

The struggling Chicago Cubs called up top infield prospect Pedro Ramirez from Triple-A Iowa on Friday. Infielder/outfielder Matt Shaw landed on the 10-day injured list with mid-back tightness in a…

Ivan Toney
May 22, 2026 1:09 pm

Ivan Toney makes England’s WC roster but 3 key others do not

Strikers Ivan Toney and Ollie Watkins have been named to England’s 26-man roster for the upcoming FIFA World Cup, coach Thomas Tuchel announced. Toney and Watkins impressed for their respective…

troy ryan canada
May 22, 2026 12:56 pm

Troy Ryan named head coach, GM for PWHL San Jose

The PWHL named Troy Ryan as the head coach and general manager of the new San Jose expansion team on Friday. Ryan, 54, has been the head coach of the…

More News News

pedro ramirez cubs
May 22, 2026 1:41 pm

Cubs promote INF Pedro Ramirez, place Matt Shaw on IL

The struggling Chicago Cubs called up top infield prospect Pedro Ramirez from Triple-A Iowa on Friday. Infielder/outfielder Matt Shaw landed on the 10-day injured list with mid-back tightness in a…

Ivan Toney
May 22, 2026 1:09 pm

Ivan Toney makes England’s WC roster but 3 key others do not

troy ryan canada
May 22, 2026 12:56 pm

Troy Ryan named head coach, GM for PWHL San Jose

Cale Makar
May 22, 2026 12:19 pm

Avalanche D Cale Makar out for Game 2 vs. Knights

tampa bay rays may 18
May 22, 2026 12:01 pm

Rays’ ballpark proposal survives initial narrow Tampa council vote

Read all
fb-post
advertisment
title-icon

Upcoming events

See all odds