Oklahoma Sooners quarterback Spencer Rattler has been installed as the initial Heisman Trophy favorite for next season.
The freshman signal-caller was listed as the +500 opening favorite by PointsBet ahead of Clemson quarterback D.J. Uiagalelei.
Rattler, a five-star recruit out of Phoenix, took over the starting job this season and threw for 3,031 yards, 28 touchdowns and seven interceptions in 11 games. He led the Sooners to a win in the Cotton Bowl, throwing for 247 yards and three touchdowns in the 55-20 victory over Florida.
Uiagalelei is a freshman out of Bellflower, Calif. who saw action in nine games this season, including a pair of starts when Trevor Lawrence was sidelined following a positive COVID-19 test. Uiagalelei completed 66.7 percent of his passes with five touchdowns and no interceptions, and is poised to take over the Tigers’ starting job from Lawrence.
North Carolina junior quarterback Sam Howell is the third betting favorite at +850, followed by Alabama freshman quarterback Bryce Young, who threw just 13 passes this season.
Three veteran quarterbacks follow that pair with +1200 odds each: Miami’s D’Eriq King, Georgia’s JT Daniels and Southern Cal’s Kedon Slovis.
King suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in the Hurricanes’ bowl game loss but Miami said he is expected to be ready for the start of next season.
Daniels transferred from USC to Georgia earlier this year after tearing a ligament in the fall of 2019 and watching Slovis take command of the job. Daniels went on to throw for 1,231 yards and 10 touchdowns and a pair of interceptions in four games for the Bulldogs, while Slovis threw for 1,921 yards, 17 touchdowns and seven picks in six games.
The top non-quarterback on the early 2021-22 Heisman Trophy odds market by PointsBet is Alabama running back Brian Robinson Jr. The junior has rushed for 1,291 yards on 4.9 yards per carry with 15 touchdowns in 40 career games entering the College Football Playoff title game.
2021 Heisman Trophy Odds (PointsBet)
Top 9Heisman Favorites
- Spencer Rattler, Oklahoma (+500)
- D.J. Uiagalelei, Clemson (+675)
- Sam Howell, UNC (+850)
- Bryce Young, Alabama (+1000)
- D’Eriq King, Miami (+1200)
- J.T. Daniels, Georgia (+1200)
- Kedon Slovis, USC (+1200)
- Brian Robinson Jr., Alabama (+1200)
- Emory Jones, Florida (+1200)
Heisman Favorites 10-21
- Breece Hall, Iowa State (+1500)
- Jayden Daniels, Arizona State (+1500)
- Michael Penix Jr., Indiana (+1500)
- Tyler Shough, Oregon (+1500)
- Bijan Robinson, Texas (+1500)
- Brock Purdy, Iowa State (+1800)
- Graham Mertz, Wisconsin (+1800)
- Kyren Williams, Notre Dame (+1500)
- Deuce Vaughn, Kansas State (+2000)
- Isaiah Spiller, Texas A&M (+2000)
- Matt Corral, Ole Miss (+2000)
- Kevin Harris, South Carolina (+2000)
Heisman Favorites 22-27
- Dillon Gabriel, UCF (+2500)
- Carson Strong, Nevada (+2500)
- Grayson McCall, Coastal Carolina (+2500)
- John Metchie III, Alabama (+2500)
- Jordan Addison, Pitt (+2500)
- Zay Flowers, Boston College (+2500)
–Field Level Media (@FieldLevelMedia)