Our Clients:

Field Level Media - Professional sports content solutions | FLM

Aug 27, 2024 12:42 pm

Williams replaces lone American F1 driver Logan Sargeant

logan sargeant

Williams Racing has replaced driver Logan Sargeant with Franco Colapinto for the remainder of the Formula 1 season.

Sargeant, 23, was the only American driver on the F1 circuit. He ranks 20th out of 21 drivers in the standings with zero top-10 finishes in 14 races. He placed 11th at the British Grand Prix on July 7.

“To replace a driver mid-season is not a decision we have taken lightly, but we believe this gives Williams the best chance to compete for points over the remainder of the season,” team principal James Vowles said.

“… This is undoubtedly incredibly tough on Logan, who has given his all throughout his time with Williams, and we want to thank him for all his hard work and positive attitude.”

Williams currently ranks ninth out of 10 teams in the F1 constructors’ standings.

Sargeant competed in 36 races for Williams over the past two seasons. At the 2023 U.S. Grand Prix he became the first American driver to score a point in F1 since Michael Andretti 30 years earlier.

“Logan remains a talented driver and we will support him to continue his racing career for the future,” Vowles said. “I know that Franco has great speed and huge potential, and we look forward to seeing what he can do in Formula 1.”

Colapinto, a 21-year-old from Argentina, will race alongside Williams teammate Alex Albon for the 2024 season’s final nine events, starting with Sunday’s Italian Grand Prix.

“It is an honor to be making my Formula 1 debut with Williams — this is what dreams are made of,” Colapinto said. “The team has such amazing history and a mission to get back to the front which I can’t wait to be part of.

“Coming into F1 mid-season will be an enormous learning curve but I am up for the challenge, and I’m fully focused on working as hard as I can with Alex and the team to make it a success.”

–Field Level Media

You may also like

chris gabehart
Feb 19, 2026 9:57 pm

Joe Gibbs Racing files $8M lawsuit against ex-competition director

Joe Gibbs Racing, in a lawsuit filed Thursday in the Western District of North Carolina, accused its former competition director, Chris Gabehart, of sharing confidential information and trade secrets with…

tyler reddick, jordan
Feb 19, 2026 8:59 pm

Tyler Reddick’s Daytona 500 win scores massive ratings for Fox

Tyler Reddick’s victory in the 2026 Daytona 500 scored massive ratings for Fox Sports, which saw an 11% increase over last year’s race. The 7.489 million viewers for the race…

Stefano Domenicali
Feb 16, 2026 6:09 pm

Barcelona stays in F1 race rotation with extension through 2032

Formula 1 will continue to race in Barcelona for another six years after it struck a deal that calls for the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya to alternate hosting with the Belgian…

More Auto Racing News

chris gabehart
Feb 19, 2026 9:57 pm

Joe Gibbs Racing files $8M lawsuit against ex-competition director

Joe Gibbs Racing, in a lawsuit filed Thursday in the Western District of North Carolina, accused its former competition director, Chris Gabehart, of sharing confidential information and trade secrets with…

tyler reddick, jordan
Feb 19, 2026 8:59 pm

Tyler Reddick’s Daytona 500 win scores massive ratings for Fox

Stefano Domenicali
Feb 16, 2026 6:09 pm

Barcelona stays in F1 race rotation with extension through 2032

tyler reddick
Feb 15, 2026 5:57 pm

Tyler Reddick captures Daytona 500 in thrilling finish

Daytona 500
Feb 14, 2026 12:49 pm

Daytona 500 start time moved up due to weather concerns

Read all
fb-post
advertisment
title-icon

Upcoming events

See all odds
[gs-fb-comments]