Dodgers’ Trevor Bauer on leave amid sexual assault investigation

Los Angeles Dodgers right-hander Trevor Bauer was placed on seven-day administrative leave by Major League Baseball on Friday in the wake of allegations he sexually assaulted a woman.

“MLB’s investigation into the allegations made against Trevor Bauer is ongoing,” Major League Baseball said in a statement. “While no determination in the case has been made, we have made the decision to place Mr. Bauer on seven-day administrative leave effective immediately. MLB continues to collect information in our ongoing investigation concurrent with the Pasadena Police Department’s active criminal investigation. We will comment further at the appropriate time.”



Bauer chose not to appeal MLB’s decision, his representatives announced to multiple outlets.

“We reaffirm our statement and refute (the woman’s) allegations in the strongest possible terms,” co-agents Jon Fetterolf and Rachel Luba wrote in a statement. “Mr. Bauer will not appeal MLB’s decision to place him on administrative leave at this time in an effort to minimize any distraction to the Dodgers organization and to his teammates.”

They emphasized that MLB’s decision did not “reflect a finding in the league’s investigation,” nor is it considered disciplinary.

Trevor Bauer
Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

ESPN reported Thursday that the woman said Bauer choked her until she lost consciousness and punched her in the face during sex, leaving her with head injuries and “facial trauma.”

The network obtained a copy of the filing accompanying her request for a temporary restraining order against Bauer, filed on Monday.

The woman, 27, was granted the temporary order. ESPN reported the woman said the alleged assaults occurred April 21 and May 16 at Bauer’s home in Pasadena, Calif.

Trevor Bauer Denies Allegations

Through his attorney, Bauer, 30, has denied allegations of assault and said he and the woman engaged in consensual sex twice.

Dodgers manager Dave Roberts had told reporters Thursday that Bauer remained in line to make his scheduled start Sunday against the host Washington Nationals. He described the situation as “out of our hands” while MLB conducted its own investigation.



Bauer won the National League Cy Young Award as a member of the Cincinnati Reds last year before signing a three-year, $102 million free agent deal with the Dodgers in February. He is 8-5 with a 2.59 ERA in 17 starts for Los Angeles this year.

According to the Los Angeles Times, the Dodgers will replace Bauer’s spot on the active roster with RHP Brusdar Graterol, who has been out since April 26 with forearm tightness.

–Field Level Media (@FieldLevelMedia)