Our Clients:

Field Level Media - Professional sports content solutions | FLM

May 21, 2026 4:22 pm

McLaren CEO expects Red Bull, others to be interested in Oscar Piastri

Oscar Piastri
Photo by: David Kirouac-Imagn Images

Although Oscar Piastri has a long-term contract with McLaren Racing, Red Bull would pursue the 25-year-old driver if four-time champion Max Verstappen departs at the end of this season, Autosport reported earlier this month.

That a team would have interest in Piastri, who is in his fourth F1 season, came as no surprise to McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown.

“I would imagine there’s not a team on the grid that wouldn’t want to have Oscar and Lando (Norris) driving for them,” Brown told The Athletic in a recent interview.

“My general view, contracts aside, (is) our job is to create an environment where our drivers don’t want to drive anywhere else, or for that matter, our employees or our sponsors don’t want to sponsor another team. … I think there’s a lot of talent inside McLaren that other racing teams would like to have.”

Since debuting in F1 with McLaren in 2023, Piastri has won nine grands prix as a key piece of the team’s success. The Australian native did not make the start in the first two races of the season, but finished second in the Japanese Grand Prix after leading the opening stages.

“Yes, I think I am,” Piastri told The Athletic when asked if he felt he was in the right spot to win a world championship down the line.

“Last year, or even just through the years, I think the trust and the proof of how we can take a car, and almost a team in some ways, that has potential and actually realize that potential, is more than enough for me to see just what this team is capable of. …

“We’ve got all of the pieces of the puzzle that we want and that we need, and now it’s about trying to go out and execute and see how many championships we can win.”

–Field Level Media

You may also like

Oscar Piastri
May 21, 2026 4:22 pm

McLaren CEO expects Red Bull, others to be interested in Oscar Piastri

Although Oscar Piastri has a long-term contract with McLaren Racing, Red Bull would pursue the 25-year-old driver if four-time champion Max Verstappen departs at the end of this season, Autosport…

kyle busch nascar
May 21, 2026 10:17 am

NASCAR champ Kyle Busch hospitalized with ‘severe illness’

Two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion Kyle Busch is hospitalized with a “severe illness” and will miss Sunday’s Coca-Cola 600 in Charlotte, N.C. The family of the 41-year-old driver released a…

"Kevin Harvick" AND "Jeff Burton"
May 19, 2026 5:57 pm

Kevin Harvick, Jeff Burton, Larry Phillips elected to NASCAR Hall of Fame

Kevin Harvick was elected in his first year of eligibility and is joined by fellow former drivers Jeff Burton and Larry Phillips in the NASCAR Hall of Fame Class of…

More Auto Racing News

Oscar Piastri
May 21, 2026 4:22 pm

McLaren CEO expects Red Bull, others to be interested in Oscar Piastri

Although Oscar Piastri has a long-term contract with McLaren Racing, Red Bull would pursue the 25-year-old driver if four-time champion Max Verstappen departs at the end of this season, Autosport…

kyle busch nascar
May 21, 2026 10:17 am

NASCAR champ Kyle Busch hospitalized with ‘severe illness’

"Kevin Harvick" AND "Jeff Burton"
May 19, 2026 5:57 pm

Kevin Harvick, Jeff Burton, Larry Phillips elected to NASCAR Hall of Fame

Caitlin Clark
May 19, 2026 11:40 am

Fever’s Caitlin Clark named grand marshal for Indy 500

alexander rossi
May 18, 2026 8:16 pm

Alexander Rossi being evaluated at hospital after Indy 500 practice crash

Read all
fb-post
advertisment
title-icon

Upcoming events

See all odds