Our Clients:

Field Level Media - Professional sports content solutions | FLM

Jan 27, 2025 8:05 pm

NASCAR to consider playoff format changes for 2026

joey logano

As NASCAR teams prepare to kick off the new season, changes to the Cup Series playoff format could be on the horizon.

NASCAR executive vice president and chief racing development officer John Probst said Monday that no changes are coming in 2025, but the playoff format will be reconsidered ahead of the 2026 season.

Probst spoke at a competition briefing on Monday with the season set to begin with the Daytona 500 on Feb. 16.

“I don’t think we want to get in the habit of making small little tweaks every season to the playoffs,” Probst said. “Where we landed was for 2025 not making any changes to the playoffs. Throughout the course of this year, we will get a working group together with some media folks, OEMs, Goodyear, drivers. … We probably talked to most of the folks one-on-one about, ‘where are we at? What are we thinking?’

“Basically, we look at that as a workstream for a group of our stakeholders this year, to look at it holistically.”

The current playoff format sees 16 drivers qualify for a 10-race chase broken up over four rounds. The field of playoff drivers is cut between rounds from 16 to 12 to eight to the Championship Four. It’s been the structure of the playoffs since 2014 and hasn’t seen significant modification since 2017, when stage racing and playoff points were introduced.

Probst said NASCAR has heard from stakeholders who love the playoffs as is, people who hate the current format and people who fell in between.

There’s no guarantee anything will be altered at all in the end.

“We just didn’t get to a point where we felt like we have to do it,” Probst said. “But we hear the fans loud and clear and are looking at it actively.”

Joey Logano is the reigning Cup champion.

–Field Level Media

You may also like

max verstappen wave
Aug 20, 2026 9:47 am

Max Verstappen signs Red Bull extension through 2030

Four-time world champion Max Verstappen signed a contract extension Thursday with Red Bull Racing through 2030, ending speculation about his Formula 1 future. The 28-year-old driver had been under contract…

Carlos Sainz
Aug 19, 2026 11:34 am

Carlos Sainz reaches multi-year extension with Williams

Carlos Sainz agreed to a new multi-year contract extension with Williams on Wednesday, one day after Alex Albon extended his stay with the British Formula 1 team. Financial terms were…

Liam Lawson
Aug 19, 2026 11:09 am

Liam Lawson to replace Isack Hadjar at Dutch Grand Prix

Racing Bulls’ Liam Lawson will step in for the injured Red Bull Formula 1 driver Isack Hadjar and compete in Sunday’s Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort, the organization announced Wednesday….

More Auto Racing News

max verstappen wave
Aug 20, 2026 9:47 am

Max Verstappen signs Red Bull extension through 2030

Four-time world champion Max Verstappen signed a contract extension Thursday with Red Bull Racing through 2030, ending speculation about his Formula 1 future. The 28-year-old driver had been under contract…

Carlos Sainz
Aug 19, 2026 11:34 am

Carlos Sainz reaches multi-year extension with Williams

Liam Lawson
Aug 19, 2026 11:09 am

Liam Lawson to replace Isack Hadjar at Dutch Grand Prix

greg biffle
Aug 19, 2026 10:32 am

Suspect charged in burglary of late Greg Biffle’s home

Alex Albon
Aug 18, 2026 4:13 pm

Alex Albon signs extension with Williams through 2027

Read all
fb-post
advertisment
title-icon

Upcoming events

See all odds