Rafael Nadal is not optimistic about a return to normalcy for the professional tennis circuit.
Tennis, like virtually all sports, has been shut down due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It is not expected to resume until mid-July at the earliest.
“From my point of view, I’m very pessimistic that the circuit can resume normal activity,” Nadal said in an online chat organized by the Spanish Tennis Federation. “In tennis, you need to travel every week, stay in hotels, go to different countries.
Nadal has seen Wimbledon canceled and the French Open rescheduled for the end of September, however the world’s No. 2-ranked player and 19-time Grand Slam winner appears to be taking scope of the bigger picture.
“We have already said many times we are in a very difficult moment, for everyone,” the 33-year-old Spaniard said. “Step by step, it looks like things are slightly less bad, but we’ve been through one and a half very tough months, lots of irreparable losses and other losses that are less important but without doubt will cause suffering in society in the following months.
“I hope it will be months not years, because it’s also an economic issue, as well. Lots of people are going to lose their jobs. These are sad moments when you see so many people dying.”
As of Monday morning, nearly 3 million people around the world had been diagnosed with the disease, with more than 207,000 fatalities, according to Johns Hopkins University.
–Field Level Media (@FieldLevelMedia)