Reds promote top prospect Senzel

Nick Senzel was called up from Triple A by the Cincinnati Reds and is expected to debut Friday at Great American Ballpark against the San Francisco Giants.
Senzel will play center field and bat second, according to a lineup the Reds tweeted on Friday.


Senzel, the No. 2 pick in the 2016 draft, is viewed as one of the top five prospects in baseball and No. 1 in the Reds’ organization. He was drafted as an infielder and played second base, shortstop and third base in the minor leagues before beginning a transition to the outfield in spring training.
“He has what I would call like an edge to his game that would allow him to compete at this level,” Reds manager David Bell said. “He’s talented. He’s always hit and when he does play, reach the major leagues, there’s going to be adjustments, just like there is for any player, but because of his makeup we believe it will happen for him quick.”
Senzel, 23, showed “athleticism and determination” the Reds needed to see when they asked him to slide to the outfield, Bell added.


If there is a threat to Senzel’s high ceiling in Cincinnati, it could be injuries. He required season-ending surgery for a torn tendon in his right index finger in 2018 and suffered an ankle injury in 2019 minor league camp that derailed his debut at Triple-A Louisville until April 23.
Senzel was batting .310 with eight stolen bases, six home runs and 25 RBIs at the time of his injury last June.
“The last year-and-a-half has been a lot,” Senzel said last month to Cincinnati.com. “I feel like I had gotten past the injury bug, but, I mean it just happened and I’ve been through the process before. I just have to get healthy and make sure I’m fully healthy to be able to play.”
–Field Level Media (@FieldLevelMedia)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *